Do you love taking photos? Or do you carry your camera everywhere? Our course will help you realize your dream of working from your home at something you enjoy, a home-based photography business. Our students will receive information on every aspect of setting up and running a thriving home-based photography business. You will learn how to estimate your start-up costs, outfit your home studio, market yourself and stay profitable once you are in business. Whether you want to earn your living as a portrait photographer, photojournalist, or product photographer our course will give you the tools you need to prepare for an exciting new career.
* You have 4 weeks to complete this course from date of your enrollment.
Start Your Own Photography Business training course content
The Start Your Own Photography Business training course consists of 4 modules:
Start Your Own Photography Business Module 1 Getting Started as Home-Based Photographer
In Module 1 of our photography business course will discuss the basics of getting started a home-based photographer. We will learn to make basic business decisions regarding amateur vs. professional status, part-time vs. full-time hours and what skills are necessary to begin your career. There are different branches of home-based photography and we will cover each of them before discussing working out of your home and the challenges of separating your business life from your personal life.
- Amateur vs. Professional
- Part-time vs. Full-time Photography
- Acquiring the Knowledge & Skills of Photography
- Branches of Home-Based Photography
- Separating Business Life from Personal Life
Start Your Own Photography Business Module 2 Finances & Legal
Module 2 focuses on the financial and legal aspects of owning your own photography business. Financial lessons covered include financial planning, costs, accounts and reports as well as pricing for profit (which can be the most difficult and confusing part of starting your own business!). Legal aspects of owning your own business include sole proprietorships vs. partnerships, LLCs, corporations, and zoning ordinances. Lastly, we will discuss the naming and licensing of your new business, how to hire an attorney and how to purchase insurance.
- Financial Planning
- Costs, Accounts & Reports
- Pricing for Profit
- Sole Proprietorship & Partnership
- Limited Liability Corporations (LLCs) & Corporations
Start Your Own Photography Business Module 3 Business Plans, Taxes & Record Keeping
In Module 3 you will be learning about business plans, taxes and record keeping. We begin by discussing how to write a business plan and then move on to the rules of using your home, vehicle and computer in your business. Next we will discuss tracking business expenses and other types of recording keeping. Lastly we will cover taxes and their implications for your business. Computers can be invaluable tools for many aspects of your business and we will explore what type of computer would best suit your specific type of business.
- How & Why to Write a Business Plan
- Using Your Home, Vehicle & Computer in Your Business
- Business Expenses
- Record Keeping
- Estimating Taxes & Sales Tax
Start Your Own Photography Business Module 4 Managing & Marketing Your Business
Module 4 aims to teach students about both the managing and marketing of their budding photography business. We will discuss setting business goals and managing productivity to achieve those goals. Storage, filing and retrieval systems are important for accurate record keeping so we will learn about the best way to manage your paper trial or digital records. Another important aspect of your business is PR (public relations) and we will learn about how your website, publicity, promotion and advertising all reflect your image as a business. Growth as a business and planning for the future is also very important in prolonging your career as a photographer so we will conclude the course by discussing the development of new products and services.
- Setting Goals
- Storage, Filing and Retrieval Systems
- Reputation & Public Relations
- Website, Publicity & Promotion
After completing the Start Your Own Photography Business training course
After completing the Start Your Own Photography Business training course, you should be able to:
- Apply the steps necessary to begin a home-based photography business
- Identify the costs involved with starting your business and create financial plans and records to track expenses and taxes
- Write a business plan for a home-based photography business
- Identify how to manage your business with setting goals, utilizing file management, and monitoring productivity
- Create a marketing plan, advertise and promote your business
The Start Your Own Photography Business training course is 24 hours long, taught over 4 weeks.