In our review of different careers, we take a look at how to become a game designer. We will also take a look at what a game designer does, and what skills and attributes it takes to become a game designer.
What Does a Game Designer?
If you have a love of computer games then becoming a game designer could be an excellent career choice for you.
As a game designer it will be your job to come up with new game ideas, and new concepts for already existing games and pitch them to the rest of the development team. The games could be for any platform from a mobile or social networking game, a console game or a PC game. Once you have thought of an idea your entire development team is happy with it is then your job, often with a group of other designers, to create the storyline and characters the game will involve, develop the rules of the game and how it is played, design all objects and backgrounds in the game, writing the scripts and designing storyboards and ensuring that all of this is communicated effectively with the development team.
As a game designer, you will usually work office hours from Monday to Friday, but you might also need to work some evening and weekends in order to meet deadlines.
Is Becoming a Game Designer Right For Me?
You will need the following skills and attributes to become a Game Designer:
- Excellent computer skills
- The ability to draw basic 3D designs both on paper and using computer software
- An excellent knowledge of a wide range of computer games and a great understanding of how games work
- A good imagination and the ability to structure your initial ideas into a quality end product
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Flexibility and a willingness and ability to meet deadlines
- A genuine interest in the industry that allows you to keep up to date with the latest developments
- Excellent communication skills
- Have some programming skills
How Much Can a Game Designer Earn?
Newly qualified game designers will typically earn between £19,000 and £25,000 a year. Once you have a few years experience and have levelled up a bit, this can rise up to £35,000.
What Qualifications Do I Need To Become a Game Designer?
To become a game designer you will typically need a degree. There is no specific qualification you must have but a degree in some computer game related subject, naturally, is ideal. It is also beneficial to have a few years of experience within the industry in another role, and a portfolio of work.